SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Assigning hosts static IPv6 addresses within radvd
[au] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 26 January 2010 14:21:30
Hi, From what I can see, radvd gives IPv6 address to to users on the local network in my setup, however is it possible to assign specific hosts/mac-addresses, specific IPv6 address (similar to the way you can do this with dhcp3-server)? Thank you...
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 26 January 2010 16:05:51
radvd is used for stateless autoconfiguration. What you're looking for is DHCPv6.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 26 January 2010 23:42:36
While you cannot "reserve" addresses with RA you can generally expect for the clients to always autoconfigure the same address because they construct their address from the RA prefix and a rearrangement of their MAC address. (It's a little more complex than that, but the each MAC produces one unique host address.) However, clients may employ a privacy feature to avoid the effectively static address and periodically change addresses. Windows Vista and Windows 7 clients do this by default. Check this setting with
netsh interface ipv6 show privacy
and disable it with
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled
if you want a consistent autoconfigured address for that host. The linux clients I've seen have privacy disabled by default.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 27 January 2010 00:37:19
I didn't know about that set privacy command, I was using
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
which seems to have the same effect.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 20 November 2010 22:28:43
Linux can do that, too, but compared to Windows doesn't do it by default. You need
CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY=y
and then
sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=1
(or
echo net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=1 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
to make it persistent.)
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 21 November 2010 12:47:40
On my machines ipv6 isn't available at the time sysctl.conf is processed, so I had to do it in /etc/network/interfaces iface eth0 inet6 static pre-up modprobe ipv6 pre-up sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf=0 pre-up sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf=0 address 2001:xxxx:xxxx::8 netmask 64 up ip -6 route add 2000::/3 via 2001:xxxx:xxxx::1
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 21 November 2010 12:59:59
Put 'ipv6' in /etc/modules and rebuild your initial ramdisk and you should be fine. Of course, just compiling IPv6 into the kernel is another alternative ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker