CISCO conf

Pedro Marques roque@cisco.com
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 17:30:03 -0800 (PST)

    Igor> Hello, I have a question conserning configuration of a cisco
    Igor> router (Experimental Version 11.3).  Is there a way to turn
    Igor> off router advertising on LAN interface completely? That is
    Igor> to prohibit even replying to RS packets received on the
    Igor> interface? 'ipv6 nd supress-ra' command turnes off periodic
    Igor> unsolicited RA messages, but the device still answeres RS
    Igor> received on the interface. I am using the same LAN for
    Igor> several IPv6 submenets, so I need to disallow some RA's.

If i understand correctly what you need is to control the prefixes
advertised in the RA and disable the 'autoconfig' flag on the prefixes
advertised by that router so that the hosts in the subnet do not use
that prefix to autoconfigure addresses on that subnet.

>From the cisco documentation:

[...]

  Interface subcommands:

[...]
     ipv6 nd prefix-advertisement <routing-prefix>/<length> <valid-lifetime>
                                <preferred-lifetime> [onlink | autoconfig]
        Explicitly configure which IPv6 routing prefixes are advertised
        in an Router Advertisement.  If this command is not used,
        then the router will advertise all prefixes configured on
        the interface originating the Router Advertisements.

If i understand your problem description correctly this would be the
way to deal with your situation according to the specs rather than
disabling RAs on the interface.

btw: I fear that configuration details of a particular implementation
might be slightly outside the scope of this mailing list. Please
consider using 'ipv6-deployment@external.cisco.com' for this type of
questions.

regards,
  Pedro.